The Volksbühne was designed by Oskar Kaufmann and built in 1913-14 at the (nowadays) Rosa-Luxemburg-Platz, in the centre of Berlin. In the front side of the original building the motto „Die Kunst dem Volke“ (Art for the People) was engraved: a theatre for the people, for the city’s working class, inexpensive and offering an interesting program, both up-to-date and political. During the Second World War most of the theatre was destroyed. The architect Hans Richter designed the 1950-54 reconstruction, in which the exterior was greatly simplified. Between March and November 2009 the interior of the building was extensively renovated, particularly stage equipment areas. It was reopened in November 2009. Since 1992 Frank Castorf is the Volksbühne’s artistic director. The 1990’s were marked not only by Castorf’s productions, but also by the work of Christoph Schlingensief, Hans Kresnik and Christoph Marthaler. Since 2000 the Volksbühne has been marked by the inspiration of Frank Castorf, René Pollesch, Gob Squad, Dimiter Gotscheff and Meg Stuart.
The Volksbühne am Rosa-Luxemburg-Platz hosts a large stage, known as Großes Haus, as well as other venues: Roter Salon, Grüner Salon, 3. Stock, the Foyers and the Pavillon, which is next to the main building.